Friday, March 25, 2011

In the beginning was the first few lines

I now have the first almost 100 words of my novel, and I'm very excited. There have been false starts and writing mistakes in the past, but they have all taught me what it takes to write a novel, and this one is going to work. I actually have enough of a plot and storyline to carry me through, which has been my problem in the past, and characters who are finally going to get their time on the page, and with whom it is going to be an absolutely pleasure to work.

The story is a mix of mainstream, magical realism, and, of course, romance. I don't want to give away too much, but my main character is a shy, middle-aged man named George. George has been living in my head for years, and though he's followed me around quietly, without any pestering, every time I turn around he's there looking at me like a little boy waiting in the backseat of the car while mom runs a years worth of errands. He's patient, which makes me feel guilty. I've tried to put him in story before, and I think I've finally found one that will support him.

Beginnings are fun. Coming up with a hook first line, carrying it over until the real trouble starts, mixing in just enough exposition. It can be a balancing act sometimes, but I love it. Do you have any tricks for beginning a novel? Sure-fire hooks? Methods of successful exposition?

I hope the excitement and momentum of the story lasts for a long time. I'm already dreading the middle-novel-bog, but I know I can make this story work. My goal is a minimum of 1000 words every day until its done. And on that note...

Sarah Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment