Monday, November 22, 2010

Illusions - When Things Are Not Always What They Seem....

Illusions and Magic - how I love thee.  The shot of Edward Norton above is from one of my favorite movies - THE ILLUSIONIST.  If you haven't seen it - you should definitely track it down - it's GREAT! 

Along those same lines you want a little mindfreak? Check out this video of real-life Illusionist, Criss Angel:


Freaky, right?  I *love* unexpected twists and turns or unexplainable events. We saw David Copperfield one time and with my own eyes I saw that guy do things that were incredible and impossible!  Even though you know it's only an illusion - you BELIEVE.

That's what really hooks me on movies or books: characters or events that are multi-layered and complex.  I love plots where you're not sure whether to trust a character - or better yet - you're totally surprised to discover that the character is more than what they initially appear to be.

That's my favorite kind of read and what I strive for in my own writing.

What elements do you like best in a book or movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment