Sunday, January 17, 2010

What I'm Reading Now


I just dug into a YA fantasy entitled THE RED NECKLACE by Sally Gardner and I am immersed in the magic of 18th century Paris. Here's what the blurb says on the back:

"The winds of change are blowing through Paris in 1789, both for France and a mysterious Gypsy boy named Yann Margoza. He was born with a gift for knowing what people are thinking and an uncanny ability to throw his voice, skills he uses while working for a foolish magician. On the night of a special performance, he meets shy Sido, a lonely heiress with a cold-hearted father....."

Paris? Magic? Reading minds? That's enough to hook me. I'm about a third of the way in and so far it's an intriguing read with luscious descriptions.



I just finished reading BEAUTIFUL CREATURES by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Here's the flap copy:

"There were no surprises in Gatlin County. At least that's what I thought. Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong. There was a curse. There was a girl. And in the end, there was a grave."

This book is a true Southern gothic, which was a fresh change to read for me. Supernatural elements and dark fantasy, plus an authentic voice on the MC made this a page-turner.

What are your thoughts on these two books? Have you read them?

No comments:

Post a Comment