Saturday, August 7, 2010

Personal Artistic Quirks and Kinks: Break Down Scenes

Ok, so this is kind of a weird subject, but its something I've been thinking about lately. What I mean by "personal artistic quirks and kinks" is this: what are the things you look for or watch for? What specific something will automatically make you list a book/movie/show as one of your favorites?

I'll use myself as an example. My personal kink is break down scenes. A well done break down will make me love the book/movie/show. House is a good example of this. I love House not because of the medical mysteries but because of Hugh Laurie's awesomeness at break down scenes. (See season 6 finale, among others). Monk was awesome for the same reason. I'm not sure why I feel this way, or what it says about me, but it is what it is.

So what are your kinks? I'm curious. I feel like having those kinks in your own writing is inevitable. Is that the case for you? What I mean is, everything I write has some form of a break down scene. For me, that's what art is: breaking down a character, pushing them to the extreme until you see who they are and what they really want.

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Sarah Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment