Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Ways for writers to meet people


This has been on my mind lately, considering I'm nine days away from moving states. Firstly, I'm a people person, and do best with some of them around me. Also, even though writers are known for being anti-social shut-ins, there are many reasons getting out and meeting people can be good for us. Its healthy, refreshing and creatively inspiring. Get out and get ideas. Get the word out about your book. And you never know when your friends roommates grandmas first husband could end up being an editor at Random House or the New Yorker or something.

But just because I think meeting new people is a good idea doesn't mean I'm good at it, or that it doesn't scare me. There are casual places like malls and bars that make brushing by people easy, but those kind of 'meetings' scare me more than most, and I'm talking about ways and places you can really get to know someone. There are clubs and groups like writer/book groups. Those are classic. Participating in community theater. Church activities. Going to friends parties and meeting their friends.

Those are my ideas, but I would love more. Where are places you've had success meeting cool people? All kinds of people. I'd love to hear your advice and stories. Although, we writers should maybe come with a warning to those we do meet: be careful or you'll end up in my next novel.

Sarah Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment