Monday, April 18, 2011

O is for Obstinancy, Orthodontics, Office Space and Oregon

Ok, so I had a lot of little things I wanted to talk about rather than one big thing, so today's post is going to be a bit of a smorgasbord. Here goes:

***
Obstinancy. This is an essential characteristic of successful writers, I think. When people say the publishing world is impossible and you'll never make it, be obstinate. When you've gotten fifty rejections in one week and feel like you're a failure, be obstinate rather then down on yourself. Just keep going, whatever the odds.


***
Orthodontics. I am SICK TO DEATH of it. That is all.



***
Office Space. Where do you write? To be honest, my office is my bed with my computer on my lap, Michael Giaccino, John Williams or Philip Glass playing in the background, sometimes Bach or John Coltrane. My room is a total mess, I'll be honest about that too. But I don't mind. Its pleasant, easy and extremely comfortable, which is exactly what I need. What does your writing space look like?



***
Oregon. Sometime in early June, that is where I'll be moving, at least as of right now. I've hung around in Utah to recoop from jaw surgery (did I mention I am sick of orthodontics?), and I'll be all finished up (I hope) with that in June, and then I am totally taking off. To Eugene, to be specific, with hopes of becoming a Duck, though their MFA program's acceptance rate is terrifying. If any of you have any insider information about Oregon, Eugene, or the university, that would be great. Also, perhaps even more urgent, I'm moving there with some small savings and no job, which will hopefully be remedied before I run out of said small savings. I know thats a worrisome and atypical way of doing things (believe me, I know), so if any of you have advice about finding a job in this kind of way, that would be great. I'm pretty willing to take any job that will pay the bills, whether thats secretary, receptionist, waitress, salesperson, whatever, as long as I can write. I've been doing research about Oregon's unemployment rate and thats scaring me even more, so any leads or advice would be great. Is there a way to get myself a job before I even move, or is that impossible? I'll probably be posting about this again in the future, and I hope thats okay because I need all the help I can get.



Happy writing!
Sarah Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment