Monday, June 7, 2010

Summer Project



I've noticed a few blogs lately that are commenting on the fact that summer is here and how do we write with the kids home?  It is a challenge, for sure.  For years I worked from home while my daughter was growing up and I'll never forget being "Mom" while she was awake and rushing to the computer to work (other kind of work - I didn't really write much back then) whenever she went to sleep.

Though I still juggle my time to goof around with her during the day, thankfully now that she's a teenager she sleeps in during the summer so I get big chunks of time in the morning to write.  We've always had lots of things we do together during the summer: swimming, sports, sewing, reading, art projects etc. This year, however, is going to be different. Because we have a BOOK PROJECT.

As in we are going to write a book together.

Yes.  I really said that. We're going to write a young adult novel together.  Probably fantasy. Carly is 14 and starting high school next year. She loves to read and she's a good writer.  Our goal is to write the book and get it published before she graduates from high school in four years.

We haven't decided on the story line yet but we've tossed around some ideas. But we're going to have a schedule to write every day during the summer.  Though I believe you make your own luck, it doesn't hurt to cross your fingers too. :D

I'll give periodic updates and let you know how it goes.

Do you have a summer project planned with your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment