Thursday, August 20, 2009

Greetings from Montana!



Check out the view from my brother's patio - not bad, eh? What you don't see is the 360 degree panorama that surrounds this beautiful plateau on which his house is perched in the hills outside of Missoula. If you ever think about running away to the country - run here. (Although at the moment there is a mountain lion alert as one has been spotted in the area and appears to be habituated to people and therefore a possible threat...so now I've got a new excuse not to jog... ;-)

Anyway, back to writing as a topic: Though in real life my brother is a world-renowned avian evolutionary ecologist, he is also one of my beta readers for my YA novels, as well as my number one cheerleader throughout my pursuit of a writing career. My husband and daughter and I are here, along with my parents, to celebrate my brother's birthday - so yay! for Tommy!

Speaking of beta reading, he has just finished reading DARK SHADOWS, the sequel to my debut novel, THE FAERIE RING and shared some great comments. I've got a little bit of work to do on that before I ship it off to my agent and editor to read and then I'm back to work on my newest novel.

I love starting a new WIP, discovering my characters, their personalities and imagining the worlds in which they live. There's a great article over on The Enchanted Inkpot about the X factor in characers. Read it here, or catch up on debut author Michelle Zink's new release PROPHECY OF THE SISTERS, which sounds totally awesome.

What traits do you like to see in a hero or heroine? Who is your favorite main character that as the X factor?

No comments:

Post a Comment